Have you started a business and want to know how to market it properly?
In this article, I present to you 17 digital marketing tips, ideal for any entrepreneur who is just starting out.
Entrepreneurship isn’t exactly easy to work, but it sure is fun because, let’s be serious, who the hell starts a business in a field they don’t like?
I think this is also one of the charms of entrepreneurship, the fact that, for better or for worse, you give a chance to an idea or a dream of yours that you believe or are convinced will work.
Now, as you probably know, there’s a lot to do as an entrepreneur, and it’s damn hard (if not impossible) to do it all by yourself: accounting, merchandise management (where applicable), market prospecting, sales, marketing, analytics, recruiting.. and more and more.
And besides that, you also have actual work: creating or maintaining the product, providing services, etc.
Okay, we both understand that there’s a lot and maybe luckily you’ve only chosen to deal with some of the stuff.
That is, to deal only with what you are better at in your business, and delegate the rest to someone who is good at it.
A promising start.
Now, if we are still got to the digital marketing chapter, let’s see if these tips will make you smile:
1. CREATE A SOLID BUSINESS PLAN
Most entrepreneurs avoid or skip this step.
The point is, that you don’t need a Ph.D. thesis.
The business plan can be quite simplistic and succinct.
It’s the easiest way to make someone understand your business concept.
At the same time, it will help you to understand the business better.
This plan includes:
- summary of the business and its description (vision, mission, objectives, business model, innovative nature of the business)
- market analysis and strategy (PESTLE, 5 Forces, Competitive Analysis – google for details)
- marketing and sales plan (targeted market segments, SWOT analysis, marketing mix, sales strategy)
- management and organization plan (team, operations, tools, equipment, techniques, methods, etc.)
the financial plan (budgets, cash flow)
- risk plan and business planning
All of this is related to digital marketing because marketing is done according to the business, not vice-versa.
2. CHOOSE COLLABORATORS AND BUILD YOUR TEAM
Depending on the budget you have, you can create your own team, hire the right people, or you can opt by establishing partnership relationships with different businesses, freelancers, agencies, etc.
This stage is an important one and you can do it right from the beginning.
As I mentioned, there’s no way you’ll know them all at the start of the journey.
So choose to collaborate with good people from different fields to make your life easier.
You don’t have to establish these relationships right from the start.
Along the way you will need, new collaborations will appear and you will gradually grow.
Depending on the choices you make, you can start a collaboration with Vincit by opting for one of our services.
3. DEFINE YOUR BUSINESS BRAND CONCEPT
Get your business brand right before you start work.
By brand I mean:
- brand name and motto (do research and make sure that the name or web domains .ro or .com are not taken)
- visual image: logo, color palette, shape, fonts,
- the tone of voice and vocabulary
If you need a well-developed brand, contact us now!
We have specialist colleagues who deal with this every day!
4. CREATE A WELL-DEFINED MARKETING STRATEGY
Marketing strategy is the foundation from which your business starts and includes:
- a marketing plan (brainstorming, research, defining KPIs, customer journey, setting a sales funnel, etc.)
- defining the ideal customer (what you think or know your ideal customer looks like)
- setting marketing objectives
- defining the right tools with which you will work
- reviewing the image created in the market to date (including your personal brand)
- listening and planning media campaigns
- bringing the business to life
5. START THE WORK FOR THE APPEARANCE IN THE ONLINE DIGITAL ENVIRONMENT
Once you’ve defined your brand and have all your plans ready (or even as you start making them), our next tip is to start making your appearance online:
- create a website to present the business (or the platform, it depends on your chosen business model)
- here you can choose to make your own website
- or you can opt for our website creation services
- create social media pages: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, TikTok, Twitter, Pinterest, Youtube (create them all to be
- there, even if you won’t use them all; it’s important to have them “reserved” in your business name )
- create your Google My Business profile
6. THE PROCESS OF INCREASING BRAND VISIBILITY BEGINS
Here you can opt for the growth of social media pages, both organically and through promotional campaigns.
In both situations, you need to design posts that highlight the values and benefits that your business brings to the target audience:
- creating specific eye-catching visuals (you can opt for our digital creation services)
- creating texts addressed to the target audience, which generates actions: subscriptions, website visits, purchases, engagement, etc.
- share posts on stories and in Facebook groups, Reddit, Telegram, WhatsApp, Discord, etc.
- create video content (TikTok, Reels, Youtube Shorts) to talk about your business
- invite friends to like the page
- create campaigns to increase the number of followers and impressions on social media pages
At the same time, you can opt for increasing traffic on your business website, just like that: organic or paid:
- organic: through search engine optimization (SEO)
- paid: by creating paid campaigns on Google
7. TALK ABOUT YOUR PRODUCTS OR SERVICES TO GROUPS IN WHICH YOUR TARGET AUDIENCE IS
If your business is B2B, enter business groups and try to attract interest and leads from there.
If you have a product to sell, enter the groups where the people you are addressing are and start advertising.
8. LISTEN TO YOUR BUSINESS ON ALL FREE ADS WEBSITES
A good method, which few entrepreneurs at the beginning of the road use (probably either out of ignorance or out of convenience), is to register your business in as many places as possible:
ex: You can register your business for free on TripAdvisor (if you have a restaurant, a hotel, etc.)
Here’s what you could do:
- search Google for lists of classifieds websites both in your county and in other counties, or even outside the country
- list your website everywhere and set the minimum branding available to you (add a profile picture, some images/graphics related to your business, a short description, and a link to your website )
Some websites are even owned by public institutions. Make sure you are in as many places as possible!
9. CREATE CONTENT TO HELP POTENTIAL CUSTOMERS WITH ANSWERS TO THEIR QUESTIONS
By content that helps, I mean that media that you put on social media.
Make a list of questions you think your potential customers might have and answer those questions.
Be creative and come up with visual and useful solutions that “warm up the atmosphere”.
Don’t just think about sales!
If 100% of your social media posts are just about selling, you might end up with fewer sales.
In your social media marketing plan, you should have content divided into several sections, such as:
- educational/informative content
- content with offers/promotions/sale
- news/news content
- entertaining/can-can/showbiz content
10. CREATE USEFUL MATERIALS FOR YOUR TARGET AUDIENCE
Think about what your audience would need to know about what you have to offer.
If you have a service, make sure you give them a little guide about your service, and what it entails.
Something useful to help.
Offer this guide, report, or information for free, and make sure you reach your target audience!
By doing this, people will remain grateful to you and be much more interested in a collaboration with your business, or much more interested in your products.
If you have products to sell, make sure you provide them with educational videos on how to effectively use your products.
Do a little brainstorming and think about all these aspects!
The acquisition process is not always instantaneous.
People are quite hesitant at first, and your goal should be to minimize skepticism by providing as much evidence as possible that your business is the right choice.
11. START REMARKETING CAMPAIGNS
Remarketing campaigns are those campaigns targeting “warm” and “hot” audiences.
What do “warm” and “hot” mean publicly?
Here I mean people who have interacted with your brand, who have heard about your business, who have downloaded or consumed your materials, and even those who have bought something!
A remarketing campaign addresses these categories of people and has different goals:
- we want to announce the launch of a new product/service
- we want to increase the number of conversions (eg: we announce a limited offer and show the ad only to those who have heard of us)
- we want to inform the world about one of our achievements (ex: winning an important competition in our field)
Such campaigns can be done on any promotion platform and must be set up very carefully to be maximally effective!
Call on Vincit de Advertising services to have such campaigns too!
12. OFFERS UNIQUE AND LIMITED PROMOTIONS
Sometimes you can increase the number of purchases through limited offers and promotions. Here, everyone has heard of the famous “Black Friday”, or “Let’s make all the products more expensive and then sell them at a reduced price for the same day”.
Well, here you have to take into account some psychological aspects:
- rarity: limited stocks or unique offers sell to a much greater extent
- time limitation: the offer must be valid for a short time, otherwise it will have no impact.
- The shorter the time, the higher the emotion, and people will react impulsively.
- The more time you give them to think or allow them to “put off the decision”, the more they will realize that maybe what they are doing is irrational and stop buying.
- fear of missing out: no matter what benefits you have to offer, fear and negative emotions have the fastest and most effective effect when it comes to sales.
13. ENSURE A PERIODIC AUDIT AND REVIEW OF ALL ELEMENTS OF YOUR BUSINESS
Once you have your website completed and you’ve started the marketing ‘work’, set aside time from time to time to review and improve.
In the beginning, nothing can be perfect: neither the campaigns, nor the website, nor the marketing messages, nor the prices, nothing.
They are constantly improving, day by day.
It is much better to improve daily than to try to achieve everything “in one go”.
For all our clients we have achieved positive results after a period of work and consistent efforts.
Optimization, adaptation, and consistency over a long period of time are the keys to success in any business.
14. USE THE POWER OF EMAIL MARKETING TO KEEP PROSPECTS ACTIVE
Email marketing is considered the “King” when it comes to sales.
This type of marketing is not just based on messages and emails asking about your “health”.
It is very useful in any type of online business, especially in online stores, where if everything is set up well, you can increase your conversion rate up to 10 times!
Email marketing is very convenient because:
- the costs are relatively low: for 1000 subscribers you pay somewhere around 9 euros per month and you can send unlimited emails
- you can send emails according to different criteria: time, location (different time zone), what actions the user has performed in the past
- you can create customer groups and segments based on demographics, needs, past actions, interests, etc.
15. GET POSITIVE REVIEWS
Reviews are welcome when you have an online business.
Don’t ask friends and family to leave reviews for you, as those are considered “fake” reviews.
Preferably, try to get real reviews and testimonials from your customers and use them to strengthen your business image online.
16. COLLABORATE WITH TRUSTED SPECIALISTS
At first, the costs may seem relatively high (it depends on everyone’s financial situation) and it may be more convenient to do some things yourself or get a freelancer to help you before you turn to the services of a marketing agency.
It depends on your goals and how you see your business in the long term.
It is important to choose collaborators who are specialists and reliable people, people you can rely on regardless of the problems you encounter along the way.
Specialist = person with extensive experience in a field who has an active portfolio and who does it every day.
17. ENGAGE AND ACT DAILY
Don’t wait for things to fall from the sky.
Even if you have hired people to work for you, remember that you are the one who cares most about your business and your dream.
Good people will help and support you on the journey you have chosen, but they need a leader, a determined man who is “down to earth” and gives confidence day by day!
If you don’t believe in your idea, don’t expect others to.
The people you will work with will rely on your idea and do what needs to be done.
If they make mistakes or don’t pay off, you have to take the blame and take action and decisions!
You are the boss here.
You are the leader.
You are the captain of the boat and you know best where to go.
On this wonderful journey, you have chosen to embark on, enjoy the process!
Learn from your mistakes, appreciate and be grateful for what you have and keep moving forward no matter how hard it may be.
These were the 17 digital marketing tips for budding entrepreneurs.